Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Value of 1946 Wilkanowski violin?

Instruments: There are no damages and no repaired cracks and it has always been taken in for routine maintenance and checkups.

From Cara Clark
Posted September 4, 2008 at 06:31 AM

I have been playing a 1946 Wilkanowski violin for several years. I've never been a fan of the E string on any violin I've ever owned and recently I realized why... I should be playing the viola! haha. Anyway, to fund my viola I have decided to possibly sell my Wilkanowski. Can anyone tell me anything of the value of the instrument in good condition? There are no damages and no repaired cracks and it has always been taken in for routine maintenance and checkups.

From jerry field
Posted on September 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM
If you check Tarisio website under "redbook" you will find that at auction, violins by Wilkanowski bring between $900 & $1200. That is the auction price -- retail being higher. Hopefully, that is useful information.
From ashley ames
Posted on September 27, 2008 at 05:32 AM
Hi! I am the grandaughter of the violin maker William Wilkanowski and I am trying to gather imfomation about him and make some connection to him for he was not alive when I was born.
From Mike Harris
Posted on October 1, 2008 at 04:01 PM
Ashley,

I would suggest talking to owners/employees of violin shops near where he lived and worked.

What makes an elite violinist?

Sarah Chang Our interview with Sarah Chang is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two