Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

I just won a Glaesel V130e4 violin on ebay

Instruments: Did I make a wise choice?

From Aaron Engel
Posted August 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Hello,

I just won the high bid on ebay for this violin:

Glaesel V130E4 4/4 Violin.

I'm new to the world of violin's and couldn't afford to get a more expensive one, but was wondering, is this a good violin? Is it a starter violin, or is this for more of an intermediate to advanced student? I didn't want to get a cheap Chinese thing, and would think a German violin would be a good investment.

So let me know what you guys think, and whatever information you know about this type of violin.

For those wondering, I got it for $119 and some change + shipping cost.

From Tasha Miner
Posted on August 24, 2008 at 01:21 AM
Sorry to say, I've never played or seen a Glaesel instrument I've liked. At all.

Hope yours is better!

From Hope Paolotto
Posted on August 24, 2008 at 05:45 PM
For the money you spent, you did well. Glaesel violins are bottom-of-the-line student violins, but they retail for a whole lot more than you paid. They retail on average for about $550 to $600. They do not sound that great, much too twangy for my taste, but will get the job done in the beginning. My advice would be to find a good luthier and have the violin checked to see if it is set-up well enough. Violin is hard enough as it is, don't make it harder by trying to play on a violin that is not set-up well.

Good Luck, and start saving for a better one.

From Hope Paolotto
Posted on August 24, 2008 at 05:49 PM
BTW, I just read your profile, I would not recommend teaching yourself how to play. There are too many technical aspects with the violin that are impossible to infer from a method book. If you would truly like to play for your church, get lessons. Good Luck with that as well! :)
From Marc Bettis
Posted on August 24, 2008 at 06:22 PM
I'm not certain what you mean by "investment", but usually folks mean one of two things:

1) In the sense of technique and building ability
2) Monetary...i.e. the instrument can be sold later for more than you paid--as it has gone up in value

1) Is dependent on how much you like it. You paid next to nothing for it, by violin standards, so anything gotten out of it along your way is a positive.
2) only happens to very valuable instruments, usually only $10-12k and above is the bare minimum where this happens

As Hope said, it is a cheap violin, so don't expect a great deal from it.

From Terez Mertes
Posted on August 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM
What Hope said (regarding teaching yourself how to play the violin).
From Loraine Fleeman
Posted on November 7, 2009 at 09:07 PM

My first one was a Glaesel.  It's bottom line, but hey, the thing lasted me for 17 years and I loved it. My second one is an Anton Breton(I paid $150 for it from a newspaper ad), and my third one is hand made.  I still have the other two.  The hand made one was free, given to me as a family heirloom by my brother in law.  My husband's father won it in a poker game in Germany.  Why some idiot gave it up, I'll never know.  So he gave it to HIS father in law(my husband's maternal grandfather).  My brother in law got it at some point, and now I have it.  I am the only one on either my side or my husband's side of the family that plays violin.

From Loraine Fleeman
Posted on November 7, 2009 at 09:07 PM

I forgot to add that I was 11 when I first got the the Glaesel.

From Roland Garrison
Posted on November 7, 2009 at 09:56 PM

I think you paid a fair price for the violin, and you will be able to sell it for at least that much when you move on to a better instrument. I do not think of it as an investment, but possibly an inflation hedge.

I am also a student, and I think that you cannot compare teaching yourself to learning with an instructor. You can teach yourself a few things, and tinker around with the violin for a year or two. The teacher can cover that in the first lesson or two. I have studied with a teacher, and without. I find that the level of progress I make without the instructor's guidance (even with the Internet and three CD courses I have purchased) is not even in the same league as the progress I make with a teacher.

If you plan to play in public, you will need a teacher. Anything you try to learn on your own first will probably include some things you need to get corrected after you do get a teacher, so I would suggest you do not delay. After 5 lessons, then you can decide if it is worth the benefit, but before that, you do not have the basis to recognize the difference.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.