Famous amateur violinists part II

May 13, 2008 at 08:38 PM · Let’s continue to find some more or less famous amateur violinists (fictional or non-fictional), so far they are 69.

You can find some explanations to these in the old threat.

Alba, Jessica

Anderson, Laurie

Aubrey, Jack

Axelrod, Herbert R.

Barba, Antonella

Baron-Cohen, Sasha

Beck, Ludwig

Bellow, Saul

Benny, Jack

Berliner, Emile

Boray, Paul

Borodin, Alexander

Byrd, Robert

Carter, Regina

Crockett, Davy

Crow, Russell

Data, Lt. Commander [10 THz]

Dawes, Charles G.

de Saint-Exupéry, Antoine

Dickson, William Kennedy

Dietrich, Marlene

Drinker Bowen, Katherine

Eichmann, Adolf

Einstein, Albert

Farrakahn, Louis

Fine, Larry

Ford, Henry

Fortas, Abe

Fulton, David

George III of the United Kingdom

Gingrich, Arnold

Hardy, Thomas

Haskil, Clara

Hesse, Herrmann

Heydrich, Reinhard

Holmes, Sherlock

Ingalls, Charles

Ingres, Jean-Auguste-Dominique

Irons, Jeremy

Johnson, Sheila

Klee, Paul

Klemperer, Werner (Otto Flick from the BBC comedy Allo Allo, son of Otto Klemperer and relative of Victor Klemperer)

Kárpáti, Rudolf

Kreeger , David Lloyd

Louis, Joe

Mann, Thomas

Mansfield, Jayne

Matisse, Henri

Meinhof, Ulrike

Monhaupt, Brigitte

Müller-Stahl, Armin

Mussolini, Benito

Nixon, Richard

Jefferson, Thomas

Johnson, Lyndon B.

Pearl, Daniel

Pope Pius XII.

Queen Elisabeth of Belgium

Ritchie, Nicole

Steinhausen, F. A.

Streep, Meryl

Tate, Allen

that old guy in the Frankenstein movie (must be this one)

Tramitz, Christian

Tukhachevsky, Mikhail

Tyler, John

Wilson, Woodrow

Wittgenstein, Ludwig

Wolfensohn, James

Youngman, Henry

At least we should reach the 100, so keep them coming...! :)

Replies (11)

May 14, 2008 at 01:56 AM · Can we really count Data since he's a fictional character? Or does Brent Spiner play the Violin?

May 14, 2008 at 02:20 AM · Brent Spiner does not play, just look at Data play and you can tell.

One big one you missed - but maybe not an amateur since he was considered a musician as well as an actor/comedian - Dudley Moore was very good on the violin, there was a movie where he was a classical conductor and actually played the violin in the movie on screen, the actor who played the virtuoso violinist he was working with was obviously not playing.

Also one of the anchor women on CCN plays cello - cant remember her name. "Buddy" from the original Dick Van Dyke show was a pretty good cellist as well.

May 14, 2008 at 06:20 PM · the CNN host/cellist is Paula Zahn

Molecular biologist Mark Ptashne plays violin & owns some spectacular instruments & bows, some of which are on loan to professional musicians

May 14, 2008 at 08:27 PM · Buddy from the Dick Van Dyke Show was Morey Amsterdam.

May 14, 2008 at 08:35 PM · Daniel Schorr, the venerable television/radio newsman, started his career as a violinist.

May 17, 2008 at 06:13 AM · Beethoven's Andrei K. Rasumowski and Mozart's Hieronymus von Colloredo.

The next one is not that famous, but he should be in fact - he's the patron saint for a certain kind of amateur: Baron Ernst von Bagge, a remarkably bad, but rich amateur, who invited the complete cream of violinists in his time to receive a lesson of him, since he declared to have found a new method of playing. And they all came: Kreutzer, Viotti, Stamitz, Befuzzi etc.. Bagge pretended to know everything about Tartini's bow hold, Pugnani's Appoggiamento etc. whatever, his convictions about artists were devastating. After the lesson they all applauded and got a louisd’or. Besides his bizarre method of playing (he dashed with the bow on the strings) he was a very sweet-tempered and generous patron, who composed a concerto, which Kreutzer played on his funeral.

E.T.A. Hoffmann wrote a lovely story about him.

May 17, 2008 at 12:03 PM · I believe Dudley Moore was quite a pianist, though Wikipedia states that he played violin when he was young.

May 17, 2008 at 01:00 PM · Mischa:

In your initial (and excellent) list, you list as the last name "Henry Youngman." I believe that you meant Henny Youngman, the famous comedian, king of the one-liners, and my comic hero. He always used the violin in his act, but didn't play much onstage (thank goodness).

He told jokes with an economy of language that was stunning. For example,

"There are two sides to every argument - my wife's side and the losing side."

"My mother is 90 and still doesn't need glasses - drinks right out of the bottle."

And, of course, his most famous line, "Take my wife - please!"

Cheers,

Sandy

May 17, 2008 at 03:09 PM · My favorite Youngman (not appropriate for use on v.com):

"He thinks of himself as a wit, and he's half right."

May 17, 2008 at 03:17 PM · P.S. Regina Carter isn't an amateur.

May 17, 2008 at 04:33 PM · I think the Regina Carter suggestion was a jibe...

gc

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop