Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Violin 'fun' pieces

Repertoire: something like piazzolla's le grand tango maybe?

From J. Lee
Posted April 29, 2008 at 06:07 AM

Is there a violin equivalent of "fun" pieces like Mark Summer's Julie-O or Piazzolla's Le Grand Tango (apart from the violin transcription of the piece)?

I guess I'm looking for something more like Piazzolla's le grand tango than Summer's Julie-O though. Full of intrigue and drama... for lack of better terminology :P

From Eitan Silkoff
Posted on April 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM
God Save the King Paganini, Duet for solo violin, Navarra by Sarasate.... just a few
From Anne Horvath
Posted on April 29, 2008 at 01:02 PM
Bon-Bons with filling?

Kreisler: Recitative and Scherzo
Kreisler: Viennese Rhapsodic Fantasietta
Prokofiev: "Masks, from 'Romeo and Juliet'", arr. Heifetz

Much of Wieniawski's music is intriguing...

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on April 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Greetings,
try the Heiftez folio. One f my favorites is Gutarre by Mozkowski. Fantastic piece. Aythign by Sarasate. Especially fond of caprice Basque,
Ceers,
buri
From Clinton F. Nieweg
Posted on May 1, 2008 at 01:57 AM
William Kroll
BANJO AND FIDDLE
Violin and Piano
Publisher: G. Schirmer, Inc. ST40851
16 pages # HL 50283430 $4.95
From Pauline Lerner
Posted on May 3, 2008 at 05:43 PM
J. Lee, I'd like to add my question to your question since they both cover the same issue. I don't think I'm hijacking your discussion. I have students who have outgrown the "Fifty Classics for Arranged for Solo Violin" type of books and need more of a challenge. I've looked at the Internet for free sheet music. Just about everything I've seen that says "solo violin" is actually a violin with piano duet. I've tried playing the violin parts, and they sound bad in a lot of places without the piano. The only real violin solos I've seen are the Bach S&Ps and the Paganini Caprices. There must be something in between. The student I have in mind is at the level of Suzuki Book 4 or 5. I'd appreciate some recommendations.
From Roy Sonne
Posted on May 3, 2008 at 09:03 PM
Pauline,
Telemann, twelve Fantasias for violin solo are easier than the Bach S&P. Also much shorter. However they are not easy.
Moving to the more basic issue: most violin music is either for violin with piano or with orchestra. So just about everything any of us plays is incomplete in the practice room. However I respectfully disagree with your statement that it sounds "bad". Some sections might not make sense to your students without the piano. Some sections might sound boring. It will always be incomplete without the piano. But there is almost nothing in the standard violin & piano literature where the violin part alone sounds bad.
Part of our responsibility and of our students responsibility in learning a piece, is to learn how it sounds with the piano or the orchestra. In this day and age with the entire repertoire available for 99 cents from I-tunes, or free on YouTube there is no excuse for not getting familiar with the whole piece. However, listening to a recording once, is not enough. I tell my students they must listen to it two or three times a week during the entire learning process. Furthermore, they should listen to the recording, with the piano score in front of them so they learn how the parts fit together.
From Pauline Lerner
Posted on May 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM
Roy, I think we have a misunderstanding re the use of the word "bad." In fact, I think I misused the word. What I had in mind were places where the piano is playing the lead role and the violin just goes boom-chik boom-chik. As you said, it sounds boring. Thanks for suggesting that my students listen to a recording so that the student can see, hear, and feel the big picture

I will look into Telemann's Twelve Fantasias. I think I saw them for free somewhere on the Internet.

What do you mean by "the entire repertoire available for 99 cents from I-tunes"? What constitutes "the entire repertoire"? I may be the only person on this site who has never downloaded anything from I-tunes, so please pardon my ignorance. However, I waste hours at a time on Youtube.

From Roy Sonne
Posted on May 5, 2008 at 05:12 AM
Pauline,
Let me recommend the"Fritz Kreisler Collection" Volume One, published by Carl Fisher. It's a great collection, with many of the gems of the repertoire, Liebesfreud, Caprice Viennois, etc. Of course, it is for violin and piano, but every piece is immensely satisfying to play all by yourself in your practice room. Also you will not find a single omm-pah in the entire book.

Meanwhile, I think it would be worth your while to pay a visit to I-tunes. Just enter your favorite violin piece or your favorite violinist in the search box and see what you come up with. I too am a member of the club that has never downloaded anything from itunes, however I often send my students there and they usually have good results.

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.