Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

JonPaul Maestro gold.

Instruments: Has anyone try the carbon fiber bow JonPaul Maestro gold.

From Juda S
Posted April 2, 2008 at 03:21 PM

The price for the bow vary from 1800$ to 2000$,it's a lot of money for a carbon fiber bow.Has anyone try it?Do you think it worth the price?And what is the different between it and the JonPaul Maestro silver?

From Benjamin K
Posted on April 2, 2008 at 03:28 PM
When I was shopping for a new bow I meant to test some of the Jon Paul bows but couldn't find anywhere here in Japan where they stocked them, so I eventually settled for a Coda bow.

However, I have researched this quite a bit and from reviews and articles it would seem that the Jon Paul bows are equivalent in quality to their corresponding competing models of Coda.

Also interesting to note that Jon Paul is the superseding brand of what once was Rolland Spiccato carbon fiber bows. The guys who make those Jon Paul bows used to make those Rolland Spiccato bows and they were very popular, some say the best CF bows ever made. So if their heritage and track record is anything to go by, then those Jon Paul branded bows should be rather nice.

But in any event, you don't want to buy a bow from hearsay, you would want to try them out, preferable comparing them against other bows.

From Juda S
Posted on April 8, 2008 at 09:13 AM
If you can't find any in Japan,the bow must be extremely rare.And beside,carbon fiber doesn't look as beautiful as wood.
PS:From many article on violinist.com,I think Benjamin is very knowledgeable.
From Ian Salmon
Posted on April 10, 2008 at 04:14 PM
JonPaul bows are excellent investments.. as are CodaBows.. I purchased a Coda Classic violin bow 3 years ago... and more recently a JonPaul Avanti viola bow...

I don't have experience with the bows you are looking at, but I can vouch for the quality in the company.

From Cello Lover
Posted on August 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Well, this post has more than two years, but as I have practiced for about a year with a JonPaul Maestro cello bow, I would like to comment a few things for violinists or cellists interested in this bow. This is an 82 grams (the cello model) carbon composite bow, beautifly finished, with a wine-like color, impecable construction and balance, mounted in 18K gold. This bow is intended for advanced students and professionals, it is not easy to control, the tip is a little heavier than average bows, but when you get used to it, the sound it produces it's outstanding. It produces a warm, silkish, mellow, and at the same time brilliant sound. Deep and powerful enough in the low notes. I love this bow, you can feel it's core, (as in the most expensive artist bowmaker pernambuco bows) stiffness, density, balance and elasticity. I understand this series of JonPaul bows have been discontinued and replaced by the new "Carrera" and "Vetta" bows. That´s why in some stores you can find this outsanding bow for very few bucks. From $900 to $1000 for cello, depending on the store, for a gold mounted  bow!! But remember: this is not a bow easy to control, you need experience and practice. You will need some time to learn to control it and adapt to the bow. It's one of the best carbon fiber-composite bows in the market, I highly recommend it.

From Emma Boardman-Larson
Posted on August 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I haven't played with a jon paul maestro, but i have a jon paul bravo that i really like. it's easy to handle and was pretty cheap--$265. THe two bows i had before it were cheaper. one of them stopped tightenign--i play with a pretty taut bow, and this one just stopped tightening at all one day. my next one actually snapped at the tip. :O my bravo has done great.

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8