Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

What kind of chinrest is this?

Instruments: I would like to know how this chinrest is called:

From María Frades
Posted March 31, 2008 at 01:10 AM

Hello,

I have been lately experimentig with a centered over the tailpiece chinrest, but I am not completely satisfied by it (I use a side-mounted chinrest but my chin usually rests on the tailpiece).

Surfing the internet, I have found Viktoria Mullova's web page, in which there is a nice picture of one of her violins, that has some kind of hybrid between side-mounted and center-mounted chinrest, that could be the solution to my problem, but I don't know how this kind of chinrest is called (to order one).

It would be very helpful if somebody could tell me what kind of chinrest is this:

It appears in:

http://www.viktoriamullova.com/,
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08I7Z3W7 and my profile at violinist.com

Thanks in advance,
María

From Michael Richwine
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 01:23 AM
It looks like a regular side-mounted Guarnieri style to me. I like 'em; they're comfortable, and I think they sound a little better than center-mounted ones - contrary to my expectations!

Wittner makes a very comfortable (to me) chin rest of that general pattern.

From Bobby N.
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 02:34 AM
Definitely not a Guarneri. Looks pretty unique... I would like to know, now, too!
From Michael Richwine
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 04:17 AM
There are a bunch of similar rests here, plus a few on the previous page. No, It's not a Guarnieri, but then neither is a Guarnieri......

http://www.sharmusic.com/search.asp?PageLen=20&PageNo=3&SKW=ACCVLNCHINKEY&sortkey=&Cat=

From Benjamin K
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 06:17 AM
the URL "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08I7Z3W7" appears to me like spam, it shows a bunch of young girls with very little clothing and asks to sign up for a membership to a dating site. There is nothing related to violins on that page. Did you post this by accident or on purpose?
From María Frades
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM
Thanks for your answers!!

Michael,thanks a lot, I was going crazy, visiting a bunch of violin stores without finding nothing similar to this model.

I think I'm going to give the teka rosewood chinrest a try (although in the picture seems huge, but maybe it is because of the perspective...)

Benjamin, that URL belongs to megaupload, that is a public server where you can upload any kind of file, picture... or whatever in order to share it with other people.

If you go to that URL, you only have to type in the code written in the upper part of the screen (usually three letters, to avoid spam-bots) and wait a little time to download the file (I have uploaded a picture of the chinrest, by the way)... so no spam, although it might seem spam :)

From Sue Bechler
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Take a look at the Wittner side-mounted rest that can be set to cantilever over the tailpiece. Sue
From Paul Kim
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 05:11 PM
Maria,

Check out www.dov-music.com -- he has probably the best selection of chinrests in a variety of woods and styles, and his service is outstanding to boot.

The chinrest looks, oddly enough, like a Hollywood (the actual model name) made for a left-handed player but mounted for a right-handed one. The flair/bump to the violinist's left looks like it was originally intended to mount over the tailpiece. Also, it appears to be a side-mount, rather than center-mount.

From Kristin Mortenson
Posted on March 31, 2008 at 09:21 PM
It's not a Hollywood--my daughter has that one and I have one on my spare violin. It does look to be in the Teka family, or perhaps some sort of Morawetz/Zitsman type rest. I don't understand the purpose of that left side dip, though. It may well be a custom rest--why not contact Ms. Mullova herself and ask her?

P.S. If you want a center/side hybrid you might like the Ohrenform/Berber or maybe an SAS rest.

From Christian Vachon
Posted on April 1, 2008 at 02:01 AM
Hi,

Actually, the chinrest is the old Flesch model (now called Teka). It is a side mount and quite comfortable. You can get something like it made by Alexander Accessories in England through either the Soundpost or Beare's.

Cheers!

From María Frades
Posted on April 1, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Hello!!
Sue, I haven't found any chinrest that matches your description. If you could, please post a link to that kind of model.

Paul, I was going to buy a teka chinrest from shar, but dov-music seems to have a huge catalog, so I will probably buy it from dov and I will buy the rest of fittings (pegs, endpin and tailpiece) from them.

Kristin, contacting Ms. Mullova seems to be a great idea, I hadn't thought of it, so I will try to contact her throug her webpage :) Wish me luck!

Yes, Christian, I am going to give the teka chinrest a try :)

Thanks, everybody!!!

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback