Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

How often should you change strings?

Instruments: Just curious...how often do you change your strings?

From Kevin Tompkins
Posted March 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

How long do you usually use strings before it is time to change them?

From LUIS CLAUDIO MANFIO
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 12:17 AM
It will depend on how many hours a day you play. When they are old they become "dead", they loose their brilliance.
From Kristian Rahbek Knudsen
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 12:19 AM
For synthetics the consensus in this forum seems to be around 120 hrs of playing.
From Eitan Silkoff
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 01:04 AM
1) when they unravel, 2)when it becomes false (when played with a fast bow the pitch goes up and down)
From Joe Fischer
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 02:40 AM
change strings when you are in need of a new outlook upon life.
From Marc Bettis
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 02:46 AM
I usually go about a calendar month on wound gut Passiones.

Of course...that's with playing days of 7+hours at least 6 days a week.

~$75 goney.

They don't disintegrate like synthetics, the tone is simply gone.

What REALLY stinks though-is having concerts next weekend and 3 weeks after that-and having REALLY dead strings right now.

I can't win.

From Paul Rowinski
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 02:54 AM
change them when they start to sound dull and lifeless. I get about 6 months out of a set of Dominants, playing 2-3hrs/day. Some of my students with very dry fingers get more than a year out of a set, others with destructive body chemistry only a few months. Let your ears tell you.
From Adam Clifford
Posted on March 29, 2008 at 03:36 AM
I agree with everyone above me, but have one thing to add: usually the nicer the string, the shorter lifetime they fulfill. For instance, right now the new "fad" in strings seems to be Evah Piratsi (sp?). These strings, on my violin, with my semi-oily fingers, last a couple months. They are worth it though, as they bring out the best sound in my instrument! I had my luthier put Dominants on them, and there was no comparison! You get what you pay for, except in terms of string life, it's kindof the opposite!
From oliviu dorian constantinescu
Posted on March 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Play fifths. If they are out of tune, change the strings. You must keep the string as long as they produce perfect 5ths, so that you don't mess up your intonation.
From Tom Holzman
Posted on March 30, 2008 at 01:16 PM
My luthier's rule of thumb is to change every 120 hours of playing. I follow it and have not had any problems.
From Bilbo Prattle
Posted on March 30, 2008 at 02:47 PM
Hmmm, when my fifths are out, I check the tuning.

Do you mean when you play fifths up and down the fingerboard and they seem to wander in and out? Yes, that is a good test for the strings going "false".

P.S. Oliviu: why doesn't your fiddle havr strings and tailpiece?

From Andrew Victor
Posted on March 30, 2008 at 03:57 PM
The violinist in my piano trio (where I'm the cellist) played his Evah Pirazzi strings for 3 years. He wanted to change -- but they seemeed to be no problem at all. He also playes in two orchestras and at least two quartets.

I don't really know how often I "change" violin strings because there are new brands coming out so frequently that my obsessive need to try has me changing at least once a year. But my current expeerience with Evah Pirazzi stark strings indicates they last well. I do clean my strings dry every day and with alcohol every week or two and this keeps the tone and reponse well.

I also clean my bow hair. Between that and cleaning strings I think I reduce (or eliminate) false intonation and tone problems for extended time.

From Marc Bettis
Posted on March 30, 2008 at 04:34 PM
^
Andrew,

All I will say is the thought of ANY string other than Red Labels being played by an active musician for 3 years leaves me cringing in my seat.

I never got Evahs to last more than a month or two-with anal violin/string cleaning and bow cleaning/rehairing.

From Liz Drabkin
Posted on April 3, 2008 at 08:23 PM
I currently have Evah Pirazzi and they usually sound fine for about 3 months. If they unravel, I'd recommend changing them straightaway because you can easily cut your fingers. This may happen from very long nails. I used to use Dominant and they can last for about 6 months without being damaged. But it all depends on how long you practice. This is a result of about 2-3, sometimes 3-4 hours a day.
From Rosalind Porter
Posted on April 4, 2008 at 12:41 AM
Hmm. I've met quite a few professional players in full time orchestras who only change their strings every couple of years or so, or if they start to unwind/break. These are fine players who sound great...

One pro friend has said many times to me that the whole notion about strings not lasting more than x number of hours is just scare-mongering and propaganda powered by the string manufacturers and that if one keeps strings clean etc, there's no reason why they can't last a couple of years. He made a very sensible point that if metals deteriorated as fast as some players assume they do, much of modern engineering would be exceedingly dangerous as a result.

I'd like to see some measurable scientific evidence of sound deterioration rates.

Do we know how often Heifetz, Milstein and other "greats" changed their strings?

From Manuel Tabora
Posted on April 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM
When I was in music high school, I used thomastik dominant strings (which a lot of people hate, they were the best value for me back then). At one point in time, I had a set that was on my violin for over a year. One time at a chamber orchestra rehearsal, the conductor was demonstrating false harmonics, and he picked my violin up to do it. After he played a few notes, he said (in spanish and with a cuban accent): These are some good strings!! Are they new? :)
Back then, I cleaned my strings completely after every time I played my violin, and it seemed to work. I still clean them (without any liquids) every day and my strings still last very long.
From Bilbo Prattle
Posted on April 4, 2008 at 01:51 AM
Anecdotally and from actual observation, I have seen some strings that *do* corrode quickly, and others that don't. Also, the nut and the bridge can destroy the strings if they are not smooth.

Certainly cleaning them helps, but also the chemistry and or cleanliness of your hands has a major effect.

This is how and why some people can go years while others only weeks.

The strangest I've seen is the galvanic corrosion that occurs where a set of dominants touches a bridge carved from by Gliga Co. Two fiddles did the same thing--in summer weather. Stained the wood, the aluminum wound strings formed a white jelly at the intersection, the other strings formed dark stains. The staining then led to crushing of the wood and the strings (including the D) digging deep furrows.

In the end, you change when they (really do) need it.

From Rosalind Porter
Posted on April 4, 2008 at 09:12 AM
I have a feeling Bilbo is onto something about the chemistry of our hands - I do know one violinist who seems to corrode strings in a couple of weeks or so. I always wash my hands before playing - just a habit - so perhaps that has something to do with longevity too?
From Luke Sargent
Posted on September 6, 2009 at 08:30 AM

The bottom line is this - your strings will last a really long time. Read on, though.

Now, um, that needs to be clarified.

Just because the string lasts a long time (Dominants can last  for like 4 years with no problems) doesn't mean that they are in tip-top musical condition.

The playing life for Dominants is around 4-6 months, give or take. You can keep a set of old strings around in case one breaks, they last a really long time outside of the playing life; however, the intonation of old strings is going to suffer as you move toward the highest tension points on the fretboard.

I used to have a second violin, and I played the heck out of it. (Who can afford multiple string sets?). The strings were Dominant, and probably 3-4 years old. I was hacking away at Beethoven's Violin concerto and I drew a crowd of orchestral violinists watching me play. So, I mean, your strings will still appear to sound great after many years. The real test is when you have to play bar chords (Bach Sonatas, Partitas, Romantic Concertos, etc.). Beethoven's violin concerto doesn't have too many double stops and chords, so my old strings sounded good. If I had played some Bach, people would have cringed a bit.

The Test.

The best test for false strings is to play perfect fifths up and down your fretboard. Make sure the fifths are in tune using harmonics and careful tuning. Then, play fifths and listen to the strings closely. When the strings are very much in need of a change, these fifths will sound pretty ugly. Sometimes, the fifth will fluctuate in and out of tune. This is a dead on sign that you are in need of a change.

From Malcolm Turner
Posted on September 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM

However accurate the strings are, they're bound to wear. Constant finger pressure and shifts etc. When they've been on for some time, take a careful look down the fingerboard. They're probably noticeably thinner at the nut end where we spend most of the time playing. And then don't expect them to be true either along each string and certainly between the strings - best tested on fifths, but if the adjacent strings aren't true to each other, nothing will be in tune, and if you start trying to compensate that will only make things worse when you do change them.

I also know that they all seem to "go off" slowly - change one string, and it immediately sticks out from the others with a brightness and immediacy that the others don't have. I'd usually try and change every year or so at the most.

From Terez Mertes
Posted on September 7, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I'm in denial about the fact that I should have done it last month, or, using the 120 hour rule... gulp! Several months ago.

No $$ = no string change. Gotta love Dominants.

From Frederick Rupert
Posted on September 8, 2009 at 03:58 AM

Dominants usually break before they're a year old, let alone four.  The person who used them for four years may have set a world record.

I change mine fairly often, when they start to sound dull, with a lack of overtones and edge to the sound. 

From Nicolas Temino
Posted on September 8, 2009 at 06:46 AM

Message for short budgeted violinists:

If you like Dominants, then give Tonicas a try. They are very very similar and last longer. And Tonica E is infinitely better than Dominant E.

All the best.

From Brian Lee
Posted on September 8, 2009 at 05:03 PM

Tonicas are cheaper, too - at my local store, they're $25 a set, as opposed to $40 for Dominants.

I personally change whatever strings I'm using every six months - I usually stick to Evah Pirazzis, but I'm currently using Passione, which has lasted for a little over two months so far, though the G string seems pretty dull-sounding by default.

My teacher has been on the same set of Evah Pirazzis for about a year now - they definitely have lost their edge, but can still produce a nice sound  (that is slowly going false) on his violin (which many experts suspect to be a del Gesu, which is probably what does it - I definitely wouldn't try this on my own violin!).

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Suzuki Violin School Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8