Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

CDs of student concertos

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: (Besides Perlman's "Concertos from My Childhood")

From Jennifer Leong
Posted February 18, 2008 at 01:39 AM

Today I discovered the CD "Violin Concertos for Children vol. 1". There's also a
volume 2
. Volume 1 contains:
Rieding B minor Op. 35
Rieding G major Op. 34
Vivaldi G major Op. 7 No. 2
Huber F major Op. 7
Kuchler D major Op. 15
Seitz G major Op. 13
Rieding A minor Op. 21
Rieding D major Op. 25
Bacewicz G major
Accolay A minor (is there any other?), part 1

The CD artwork is a bit odd - cartoonish picture of two men playing violin - I would have thought they would have depicted children playing. Anyway, it's nice to find recordings of these student concertos. The pieces are all with piano accompaniment.

From Brian Hong
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 03:20 AM
That's really helpful, Jennifer. I have been looking for a recording like this for a LONG time. Thanks!
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 03:25 AM
Greetings,
thanks for posting this. Why on earth do they say it is for children? I wish all the adult beginners would write to the company and complain. Right now I have an adult playing the reidubng, anotehr palying Seitz and a 17 yera old playing the Accolay. Nor by any step of the imagination is Vivaldi a cocnerto written specifically for studnets in the way the others were.
Very peeved,
Buri
From Craig Coleman
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 03:33 AM
Thanks Jennifer,

I also found a collection with the same concertos, included are concertos by Rode, Viotti and DeBeriot. The collections are by the founding violin teachers of the Toho Music school for Children here in Tokyo which later became a high school and university. The teachers are Mr. Sumi and Mr. Shinozaki. CD is included along with the music (both violin and piano accompaniment). Toho has had a great success teaching some of todays leading violinists Akiko Suwanai, Kyoko Takezawa and Michiko Kamiya during their early training. I use these books today in my studio lessons.

Craig

From janet griffiths
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 06:47 AM
Sorry to disagree Buri but a lot of Vivaldi's concertos were written for his girls to play at the orphanage school that he taught at in Venice.However (I could be wrong on this)I think that op7 n 2 started out life as an organ concerto and was subsequently transcribed.I've seen differing editions of this piece.One which can be played entirely in the first position and is very easy (I use it as a beginners concerto) and another which is much more elaborate and reqires good knowledge of positions and fast string crossings.
From Anne Horvath
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 03:22 PM
Thanks for the links! Very useful information!
From Jennifer Leong
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 04:59 PM
Buri, I commented on the goofy artwork based on the title, but I agree with you that the CD should not have been called "Violin Concertos for Children" in the first place. As an adult beginner, I immediately thought "Hey, and Adult Beginners, too!" when I saw the CD in the store. Of course, that probably wouldn't fly with the marketing people.
Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.