Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Nice Wooden Music Stand

Technique and Practicing: I am looking for a wooden music stand, any suggestions?

From Cynthia Marcus
Posted February 8, 2008 at 05:52 AM

I am looking for somewhere to buy a nice wood music stand for my music room. I can't seem to find very many choices and I would love some reccomendations. I am looking for something sturdy but nice looking. I have been using a folding metal stand for years and I decided that I spend so much time practicing lately that it's time to invest in a nice stand.

From Sue Bechler
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 02:21 PM
There have been some advertised in Strings magazine and some of the mail-order catalogs. This is a fairly esoteric item, like fancy music cabinets, so there likely just aren't that many choices. If $$ is not particularly an object, you could check out woodworkers at craft fairs, etc., and have one custom-built. Sue
From Mathias B
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 02:38 PM
Google "wooden music stands", there are a lot of options.
From Larry Samuels
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 03:30 PM
In the 1980s. a local music store had a wonderful variety of wooden music stands by Salvi, chiefly known now for their harps. They still make 2 models, apparently, the 'Mahler' and 'Ravel':

http://www.harpconnection.com/store/index.php?cat=9&scat=9&pg=0&sku=100-102-154

They tend to be available from harp dealers, so if you like them, look around in that direction. Of course, they're a little pricey, aren't they. :)

Larry Samuels

From Lawrence Price
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 03:36 PM
You might want to try the Alden Lee Company. They have a broad selection of lovely music stands and accessories. http://www.aldenlee.com/
From Tom Holzman
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 03:56 PM
Shar sells them. sharmusic.com
From Oliver Steiner
Posted on February 8, 2008 at 04:15 PM
Please check: http://www.katahdin-online.com/
I have been using this stand for years and love it. It is sturdy and made of beautiful cherry wood. It will last forever. The desk is smooth and solid (no ridges or holes to cause holes in the music when you make pencil markings!) It's a wise investment. You'll never need another.
From Raphael Klayman
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 05:31 AM
http://www.misterstandman.com/

Hi Cynthia! You inadvertantly reminded me to follow through with my own order for a customized wooden stand from "Mr. Standman". (At the link above.) I came across his site by accident. It's amazing to look through. I already have a fine wood stand similar to an Alden Lee, and I still love it. In fact, I believe it's a Salvi. But this site has an amazing array of styles, wood and stain combos, etc. He did get a little annoyed when I wanted my choice customized beyond where he was willing to go. But anyway, check out the site.

BTW, anyone have any Salvi or Hill wood cases they want to part with?

From Bruce Bodden
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 03:33 PM
I know "mister stand man" and his work, which is expensive but BEAUTIFUL. Our orchestra has given his stands to a couple of departing music directors (the ones we liked, LOL) as going-away presents.
From Larry Samuels
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 03:55 PM
Rafael,
You asked "BTW, anyone have any Salvi or Hill wood cases they want to part with?". I don't have any for sale, but FYI, Tarisio has some in their Oct 2007 auction. Here are the results:

A FINE CONTEMPORARY 8 BOW CASE FROM THE SALVI FIRM
sold for $1200

A FINE CONTEMPORARY VIOLIN CASE FROM THE SALVI FIRM
sold for $1300 (note: this was the 'shaped/dart' case)

I have some pictures of the Salvi cases on my photos page (4th section down):

http://sandiegobagpipes.com/violin/violin_photos.html

Not to derail the thread into cases, I just wanted to offer the info.

Larry Samuels

From Raphael Klayman
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 09:45 PM
Thanks. In fact I bid on these, but they went too high.
From Todd Carlsen
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 09:50 PM
Consider these two websites:

www.jimlaabs.com

and

www.feinviolins.com

From Karen Pyle
Posted on May 8, 2008 at 04:32 PM
If you are still looking for a really nice wooden music stand, check out this website: www.lindonswoodworks.com.
This is a friend of mine, an incredibly talented woodworker and fine fiddler, and father of a very talented violinist/fiddler daughter.
His stands are as sturdy as they are beautiful.
From Roy Chaleff
Posted on June 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM
For a beautiful and well designed handcrafted wooden music stand, consider:
www.winsomedesigns.com
Unlike many wooden music stands, the Winsome Designs stands are fully adjustable and have a solid desk so you can make notes on your sheet music without the pencil poking through the page.
From Anthony Chi
Posted on June 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM
Wow those wooden music stands are nice...but $1800.00 is a bit steep!!!
From Roy Chaleff
Posted on June 6, 2008 at 01:18 PM
Actually, for what you're getting, they're cheap. If you search the web, you'll see that stands that are not as nice and involve less labor are selling for $2,500 to as much as $4,000. That said, not everyone wants to spend that kind of money to hold up their music. You really have to see it as a piece of fine furniture to enhance your music making experience.
From Christina C.
Posted on June 6, 2008 at 03:32 PM
Not nearly as much at Shar
From Nick Isaac
Posted on June 7, 2008 at 08:29 PM
I bought a misterstandman music stand last year, and have been absolutely delighted with it. I had to be unusually patient for me, and wait about six months for him to work through his waiting list, but it is absolutely worth it. Sturdy and beautiful, I couldn't ask for more.
From Marianne Hansen
Posted on October 6, 2008 at 01:59 PM
Remembered this inquiry while browsing a gift catalog last night. From Shaker Workshops at http://www.shakerworkshops.com/catalog/view/other-shaker-furniture/Adjustable-Music-Stand/F421. This is not a testimonial - I've never seen one in person. It is handsome; they've also got one with two stands on one foot if you often play with someone else.

Cheers!
Marianne

From Kurt Lindland
Posted on January 23, 2009 at 05:30 PM

I make wooden stands out of American hardwoods like Cherry, Walnut, Maple, and Sycamore.  They are handmade with handcut dovetail joints and an oil and wax finish.  No metal parts.  $400 plus shipping.

If interested, please e-mail or call me at 847-630-1448.

You can see some pictures of one in Cherry here.

rochester.craigslist.org/msg/1004450410.html

From Elaine Dowling
Posted on January 27, 2009 at 01:54 AM

Check out misterstandman.com  I have never actually seen his work (and obviously don't own one), but I have found his website quite tempting.

Elaine

From SAM MIHAILOFF
Posted on January 27, 2009 at 02:34 AM

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=music+stand+wood&_sacat=See-All-Categories

From Raphael Klayman
Posted on January 27, 2009 at 04:32 AM

Hey Cyntheia! Did I tell you that I got my Mr. Standman stand back in the Summer? I love it. Let me know if you'd like to see it. BTW I also have Ed Maday's new violin - molto benne!

From Andrew Victor
Posted on January 27, 2009 at 02:59 PM

Over the years I have purchased two different wooden stands of the ~$100 variety from local music stores - not too different than those on ebay.  I always bought them at "sale" prices. They are perfectly serviceable and attractive, although not to the same standard as the $300+ varieties.

Andy

From Raphael Klayman
Posted on January 27, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Just re-read Nick Isaac's post. Yes, if you order a stand from "Mr. Standman" you will have to be patient, but it is, indeed worth the wait. The last converastion I had with him when my order was finally done and just drying and soon to be shipped to me, he admitted to always getting backlogged, because he makes every stand by hand from start to finish. "People suggested to me", he said,"that in that case maybe you should hire assitants. But I tell them, no, my stands are works of art, and if I have help, they're no longer entirely mine. I tell people 'Stadivari didn't have assitants, and neither do I!" he said proudly. I said "Um...actually Stradivari did have assistants." He said "Hmmm...then maybe I'll use the example of Van Gogh."

Artists! Of course none of us fiddlers are tempermental! ;-)

From Marc Mouries
Posted on October 30, 2009 at 03:24 AM

Has anyone seen this nice one?

http://andersonmusicstand.com/

I am looking for a music stand and hesitate between the wooden one and this one

http://www.ratstands.com/jazz.html

From J.B. Wieners
Posted on October 30, 2009 at 04:17 AM

If you go for a more modern look, Rat makes a very nice wood stand

http://www.ratstands.com/concert.html

They've become quite common in some of the newer concert halls, such as Disney & Kimmel.

From Eiji Fuller
Posted on February 13, 2010 at 05:36 AM

I know Im a little late to the party but I make custom music stands that are fully adjustable and made almost entirely of solid wood (some brass threaded rod for the adjustment mechanism).

more pics here

the stand pictured is built out of Leopardwood and Wenge.  The desk is oversized per request of the client (my brother Joel who plays for the National Symphony.)

Thanks for looking,

Eiji Fuller

From Eiji Fuller
Posted on March 1, 2010 at 07:59 AM

I just posted a gallerie of these music stands  on facebook. www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Spring-Valley-CA/Fullerbuilt-fine-carpentry-and-woodworking/322306448388

From Eiji Fuller
Posted on March 1, 2010 at 08:00 AM

Im currently building 3 more in curly maple. I will post some pics when they near completion.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle