Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Strings with warm/round sound

Instruments: Warm-sounding strings

From JOhn kim
Posted January 17, 2008 at 07:36 PM

I just got a new violin, and it has very good projection, but its sound has an annoying/shrill sound to it sometimes. I'm using Vision Titanium solos right now. What are some warm-sounding strings (except for gut)?

From sarah salmi
Posted on January 17, 2008 at 07:44 PM
Obligatos worked well on my extremely bright violin, they are warm.

i'm now thinking about trying infeld red on my dark violin to see if they add warmth(i believe this particular violin doesn't like pirastro strings).. if anyone has any experience with them please share!

From Daniel Stone
Posted on January 17, 2008 at 07:49 PM
obligatos might work for you
From Blake Newman
Posted on January 17, 2008 at 09:16 PM
Obligatos or Violinos should work well, but the Violinos are really low tension so I believe there is something with adjusting the bridge there?

~~Blake

From Andrew Holland
Posted on January 17, 2008 at 09:30 PM
On my very bright French violin, Obligatos sounded slightly hollow, so I tried light Zyexes with great results. The tension is perfect (not too light, not too heavy), and the sound is warm and powerful. Infeld Reds sounded very dull on there, but a very warm violin that I have loves them. They produce a very sweet, focused sound on it.
From Tom Holzman
Posted on January 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM
Your best bet is to go to your luthier and ask him/her. S/he can listen to your violin with whatever your current strings are and tell you what the best bet is for achieving the sound you seek. I agree that Obligatos might well work, but since all strings sound different on different violins, you would do best to go to your luthier who can hear what you've got.
From JOhn kim
Posted on January 18, 2008 at 02:33 AM
One of the posts said that Dominants with Jargar E sound like gut. Do obligatos or infeld reds have good projection?
Also, Obligato has a gold e...and I hate whistling E strings. If it whistles a lot, which E string should I use if i were to use obligatos?
by the way, I have a french violin, 107 years old
From Blake Newman
Posted on January 18, 2008 at 02:41 AM
Well the Jargar E demetalifies the Dominants which gives them the "gut-like" sound qualities that they are know for. You can also try a Gold label E string form Pirastro or the Infeld Red E string which both match really well with the Dominants. Violist do the same thing except you a Larsen A string so we violist can get the "gut-like" sound out of the Dominants.

The Obligatos, I reconize as more of a orchestral, or chamber music string. Not like Pirazzis which are the "soloist" strings. Infeld Reds I rarely her being play as a string that a soloist would use. I think that they both aren't exacty known for their projection qualities.

~~Blake
(a proud violist)

From JOhn kim
Posted on January 18, 2008 at 03:57 AM
Thanks.
A lot of professional violins use Dominants with other E strings though...and Infelds were supposed to provide more projection than dominants...
funny how things turn out
From Andrew Holland
Posted on January 18, 2008 at 03:24 PM
I've heard that Infeld Blues might often project better than Dominants, but not Infeld Reds...
From Tasha Miner
Posted on January 19, 2008 at 02:52 AM
I love Vision Titanium Orchestral!
From JAE LEE
Posted on January 19, 2008 at 03:28 AM
I also has a bright-sounding French violin, dated 1900. When I bought it years ago, it had Dominents strings on. It worked well for awhile, but wanted more power later. After trying several different strings, I've settled with Obligato with Hill E. Infeld Red gives very similar sound to Obligato. Actually, it has warmer sound, but a little bit more dull-sounding. Evah Pirazzi has a bit more focus in sound and a notch brighter, but they need a quality control on their A-string.
From Andrew Victor
Posted on January 20, 2008 at 03:55 PM
Warm AND Round?

For WARM, I have found that Obligato (A - G) strings work on those fiddles that are not too brilliant. If I want to get a little brighter from them I have found Evah Pirazzi (thick gauge) to work well for me.

But if I also want a ROUND sound (which to me means that some of the resonant edges have been diminished, i have recently found that HELICORE strings seem to work OK. I don't thing they help briing out ALL the resonances of the instruments they are put on, but they do give a ROUND, pleasant sound. On cellos, Helicore strings can even eliminate most of the wolf tone - so cleary they do eliminate an annoying resonance in that case.

I never used Helicore strings before, but they arrived on a 5-string violin from International two days ago. I tried replacing the Helicore G with a Dominant, which did give more HF resonance, but it was too thick to work with the bridge curvature of the 5-string. The sound of the 5 Heicores is "round" under the ears, and it was pleasant to listen to when someone else played it.

Andy

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.