Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Liebesleid

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: What is your favorite recording?

From Anne Horvath
Posted October 29, 2007 at 09:16 PM

Liebesleid is one of the great repertoire chestnuts.

What is your favorite recording?

I have:

Salvatore Accardo, with Laura Manzini
Gidon Kremer, with Oleg Maisenberg
Itzhak Perlman, with Samuel Sanders
Oscar Shumsky, with Milton Kaye
Maxim Vengerov, with Ian Brown

I also have various recordings of Kreisler himself, with Franz Rupp, from 1938.

My favorite is Kreisler. My runner-up would have to be Shumsky, especially for style. What recordings do you like? Thanks!

From tom utsch
Posted on October 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Surprisingly the Stern recording with orchestra is the best I have ever heard. Kreisler second.

By the way a number of years ago I hired a professional accompanist to play the piano parts to some of my favorite parlor violin pieces on my disklavier piano. Liebesleid is one of the recordings.

I created a quick and dirty web page where you can play or download the files. Even on a regular computer they sound pretty good. Enjoy!

http://www.midnighttutor.com/music/violin_accompaniment.html

Tom

From Manuel B. Jiménez
Posted on October 30, 2007 at 01:41 AM
There´s a recording from 'Liebeslied' that I remember with special pleasure: Arthur Grumiaux, with Istvan Hajdu at the piano.
Of course, recording by Kreisler himself is too one of my favourite from this piece. Stern is too amazing. And I like Renardy´s playing from this wonderful piece.
From Eugene Chan
Posted on October 30, 2007 at 04:17 AM
Earl Wild. ;-)
From Noel Pinnington
Posted on October 30, 2007 at 07:40 AM
The Oistrakh one of 1937 is charming. It's on the BBC DVD and he has silent film type make-up on.
From Sander Marcus
Posted on October 30, 2007 at 01:22 PM
Josef Gingold made a recording of Kreisler pieces that is better than any of them, including Kreisler.
From Chris Meyer
Posted on October 30, 2007 at 09:26 PM
sorry, nobody could touch kreisler playing kreisler
From Sander Marcus
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 01:47 PM
If you've heard the Gingold, you may give that conclusion a second thought.
From Sung-Duk Song
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 01:58 PM
Ivry Gitlis - he melts your heart away! Also another great recording/performance is with Gezza Housou Legocki (protege of Dora Schwarzberg, Gitlis and Kremer). He performs frequently with Martha Argerich.
From Anne Horvath
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 01:28 PM
It turns out I also have the Kyung-Wha Chung/Phillip Moll recording, tucked away on the cheesy "Masters of the Bow" CD. I think I will pick up the Grumiaux. I have yet to hear a CD by him that I didn't admire and enjoy. I wish more of Gingold's recordings were in print...

Also, I agree with Chris' opinion that no violinist can touch Kreisler playing his own music. There are nice alternatives, of course, and everybody has their own opinion. For example, Kremer is about as different from Kreisler as you could get! I re-listened to his CD, and found myself appreciating it's lean, subtle approach. It has it's own merits. But ultimately, I prefer Himself!

I like to play and teach a lot of Kreisler's pieces, and I always have a hard time reconciling the Fritz DNA embedded in his music. My own imitations (and limitations!) just fall flat...

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody!

P.S. Eugene, Earl Wild is just great!

From Emily Grossman
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 03:20 PM
Kreisler.
From Kevin Jang
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 05:11 PM
I agree with Sandy. While Kreisler's may be "authentic" there is something about Gingold's playing that is so suave and sophisticated....
From Emily Grossman
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 08:27 PM
It's funny, though, the main reason I like the Kreisler recording is because of the scratchy record quality, which adds to the nostalgic feel. It takes me right back to my youth...
From Yixi Zhang
Posted on October 31, 2007 at 09:22 PM
I agree with Emily completely.
Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.