Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Cesar Franck: Violin Sonata in A major best recording

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: I am seeking recommendations for reference CD recordings of Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata in A major. Any input and discussion is appreciated.

From R. Clark
Posted October 20, 2007 at 12:18 AM

I am seeking recommendations for reference CD recordings of Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata in A major. Any input and discussion is appreciated.

Thank you

From Bruce Bodden (aka misterbrucie)
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 01:00 AM
There are many many many wonderful recordings available. Kyung Wha Chung / Radu Lupu (on Decca) is beautiful.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 05:49 AM
Greetings,
Menuhin on DVD. David Oistrakh. Heifetz.
CHeers,
Buri
From Sung-Duk Song
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM
If you would like a "french flavor/colour" interpretation, Jacques Thibaud's recording is wonderful. Also great is Renaud Capucon with Lilya Zilberstein on EMI. Anne-Sophie Mutter on DG (Berlin Recital 1990) is great too.

There is a DVD of Christian Ferras with Pierre Barbizet on EMI as well.

From Christian Vachon
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Hi,

So many great recordings of this piece. To add to the list already above, I also enjoy Grumiaux et Sebok's recording of this piece.

Cbeers!

P.S. This is one work where I that recordings could have been possible in Ysaÿe's time, because I would have loved to have heard his take on this work.

From Amy Nemecek
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 01:07 PM
Can anyone tell me which is the best print version of the Franck sonata? I'm playing it for a New Years concert, and my accompanist printed my part from her sheet music CD...no fingerings. Which edition will give me the best suggestions?
From Kevin Jang
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 01:11 PM
Francescatti/Casadesus is classic as well..
From Oliver Steiner
Posted on October 20, 2007 at 03:10 PM
My favorite recordings of it are Heifetz/Rubinstein, Heifetz/Smith and Friedman/Previn. The Heifetz/Smith is a live recording at his last public appearance, at Dorothy Chandler Pavillion in 1972. This was the year that I started teaching at the Eastman School of Music, where Brooks Smith was a fellow faculty member at the time. Naturally, I would ask Mr. Smith about Heifetz every time I saw him in the building! An interesting fact I learned is that, although the recording of this 1972 recital is by and large "live", Heifetz did re-record some spots after the concert, for splicing into the finished recording.
From Julie Slama
Posted on October 21, 2007 at 07:09 PM
I personally wore out my Heifetz-Rubenstein recording. Magnificent music making by two masters.
From Joey Corpus
Posted on October 21, 2007 at 07:16 PM
I think the Thibaud-Cortot would be my all time favorite. (Their Faure A major is magnificent.)
From Anne Horvath
Posted on October 21, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Thibaud + Cortot = Big Smiley Face!

I also like Oistrakh/Richter, and Ferras/Barbizet.

From Joe S.
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 05:41 PM
I really like Mutter's recording with Orkis. Her colors are great!
From Carolyn Ohlbaum
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 06:39 PM
This is one of my very favorite pieces! Mutter's recording is excellent, but I love the one with Itzhak Perlman, accompanied by Martha Argerich. It's on the EMI label.

Carolyn

From Anthony Barletta
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 07:14 PM
A 10 CD box set of Kogan recordings includes the Franck sonata with full orchestra instead of piano. I've not heard too many other versions for comparison, but I like this one a lot.
From Andrew Sords
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 07:22 PM
Mutter and Orkis live in Berlin, all the way, and Chee-Yun with Akira
From Chris Meyer
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 08:49 PM
I present to you, the legendary Oistrakh + Richter live recording!

First Movement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p3esQ8qO5gc

Second Movement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aqhZV2VmnsY

Third Movement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vJP_zdUfJVU

Fourth Movement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_rCEeuts8

From Sung-Duk Song
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 08:53 PM
If you want a very unorthodox version of the Franck, the one with Ivry Gitlis and Martha Argerich on RCA is very amazing.
From Manuel B. Jiménez
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 09:11 PM
1.Ferras / Barbizet.
2.Francescatti / Casadesus.
3.Oistrach / Richter.
4.Martzy / Antonietti.
5.Heifetz / Rubinstein.

Does anybody know Taschner / Gieseking recording from Franck Sonata? Many colleagues speak me very well about that recording.

From Tom Holzman
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 09:23 PM
As usual, it looks as if we have at least one vote for every major recording.
From Nate Robinson
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 09:28 PM
I agree with Oliver Steiner's picks. Heifetz/Rubenstein is probably my favorite. The live recording is quite good. The Friedman/Previn on RCA is very good as well.
From Alan Wittert
Posted on November 27, 2007 at 05:55 AM
Toscha Seidel (Biddulph recording).
From Solomon Liang
Posted on November 27, 2007 at 08:38 AM
perlman + argerich, the live concert they did at Saragota.
From Gary Kroll
Posted on November 27, 2007 at 09:11 AM
There used to be a wonderful sample, on Youtube, of Charles Libove and Nina Lugovoy playing the Franck. I liked it a lot. You can Google their recording.
From Mark Helm
Posted on November 30, 2007 at 05:17 AM
Try Elmar Oliveira/Jonathan Feldman.

I have it on a CBS LP and I'm not sure if it is available on cd, but it is worth looking for. As a bonus, you get a kick-a$$ recording of Saint-Saens sonata as well.

From LUIS CLAUDIO MANFIO
Posted on November 30, 2007 at 07:08 PM
Oistrack/Richter. Kyung Wa Chung is fantastic too.
From D Kurganov
Posted on November 30, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Alan, Toscha is my favorite violinist with jascha and fritzy, but that recording of franck sonata is pretty bad :) not all of his playing is consistent.
---------------------------------------------------
I CANT BELIEVE no one has mentioned the recording of Isaac Stern playing franck when he was younger. It's my favorite by far...go check it out!!!
From ev E
Posted on January 22, 2009 at 09:08 PM

i recently attended a concert/recital of Sergey Khachatryan and also picked up his last CD with his sister, pianist Luisine Khachatryan. their version of the Franck Sonata in A was very moving and well done...i love it and have it on my ipod now...i def. look forward to listening to the others recommended here...

From carlos majlis
Posted on January 22, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Best recording I ever heard is Oistrakh-Lev Oborin.

From D Kurganov
Posted on January 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM

young ferras

From Marina Fragoulis
Posted on January 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM

David Nadien

From Tom Gossard
Posted on August 6, 2009 at 07:41 PM

I very much like the Thibaud-Cortot, but a prospective buyer of the CD should note that, even while allowing for its age the recorded sound is, well, bad. Additionally, T.'s intonation is off in numerous places. I would consider this a must-have recording if all were well presented, but as it is I would only recommend it to someone who already owns other versions mentioned here.

I don't think anyone thus far has mentioned the astonishingly fine Henryk Szeryng/Mindru Katz performance, coupled with an equally fine Brahms 3rd Sonata. Amazon (USA) offers mp3 downloads, but apparently also CD special order (you have to wait a number of weeks for shipment).

Taking nothing away from any aforementioned collaborations, Szerying's gorgeous sound and intonation as close to perfection as can be; satisfyingly french sounding, with full feeling yet apt detachment, make this version special. Katz is superb. So don't hesitate to add this recording to your collection.

From Igor Ferlan
Posted on August 7, 2009 at 04:39 AM

The best recording ever is Jacques Thibaud and Cortot's performance. You can't find better of it, trust me :)

From Camille Gouton
Posted on August 8, 2009 at 08:37 PM

Ferras with Barbizet (not the dvd but CD recording!), and Francescatti with Casadesus.

From Stephen Barthel
Posted on August 12, 2009 at 05:17 PM

Artistically, Thibaud/Cortot is my favourite. Occasional flubs don't matter when music is played with the insight and artistic sensitivity that Cortot and Thibaud bring to this work - and to other pieces they worked on together.

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.