Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

favorite music for three violins

Teaching and Pedagogy: .... looking for music for three violins, easy to moderate difficulty,

From Teresa Colombo
Posted June 22, 2007 at 08:45 PM

I recently discovered these:
REJOUISSANCES II (9 pieces for 3 and 4 violins)
and there are some real jewels in there. All in 1st pos.

I have 'Threes' by Sheila Nelson, which young students seem to enjoy.

...and we all obviously have the timeless Pachelbel Canon!!!

Does anyone have anything to add to the list ...? I'm really looking for stuff that young students find inspiring and motivational.

Thanks

PS I think Doflein (?) wrote a bunch of stuff for three violins ...are they worth getting?

Janet ... (if you are looking in!) ... you must have masses of stuff to recommend! (or do you write\arrange most of your own stuff?)

From Anne Horvath
Posted on June 22, 2007 at 11:23 PM
There are several nifty sets called "What's New For Violin Ensembles", published by One World Strings. The web site is oneworldstrings.com. They are compiled by Mimi Zweig and Rebecca Henry. The "Scary Pieces" two volume set is super nifty, and perfect for Halloween. A nice change from the Tacobel...
From Teresa Colombo
Posted on June 23, 2007 at 07:29 PM
Anne: concerning the "What's New For Violin Ensembles", published by One World Strings. ...I just looked at the site and saw they also have duets (with accomps. and without)... would you recommend those, too?
Thanks
Terri
From Anne Horvath
Posted on June 23, 2007 at 09:45 PM
I have both volumes of "Scary Pieces", "A World Celebration", and "What's New" volumes 1-4. They are all good. Some are duets, and some are trios. Let me know if you need more specifics. I think they are all splendid.
From Teresa Colombo
Posted on June 25, 2007 at 10:48 AM
http://www.oneworldstrings.com/violin.php#duos
Anne... this is the site I found. It says 'What's New, vol 1." combines the former vol 1 and 2. ... do you have this series or the old one?
Anything else there that you recommend?
Thanks again
Terri
From Anne Horvath
Posted on June 25, 2007 at 01:27 PM
I have what is posted on the web site. It looks like you get a volume discount. My copy of "Scary Pieces Vol. 1", which has a whopping 3 pieces in it, is marked $15.00. Buy the set: they are good, and a good deal as well.

As for other repertoire for 3 violins, well that is a bit out of my realm. I taught the Vivaldi back in college, but I don't even own the music anymore. (Hanging head in shame).

I do use the Applebaum series "Beautiful Music for Two Stringed Instruments: Two Violins, Vol. 1-4". I think very highly of this series. They are logically organized, fun, and of great pedagogical value. Starting around Vol. 3, the kids tend to start making fun of the hokey piece names though.

From Julie Slama
Posted on May 30, 2013 at 09:07 PM
For early beginner ensembles, I like the Suzuki "My Trio Book". First part are selections from the regular Suzuki Bk. 1 solo (including Twinkle), the other two parts are simple accompaniments for them. *Really simple for beginners - a few only really use open string and first finger, so it's great for groups with rank beginners and a few more experienced hands. I have done these successfully with groups of 6 and 7 year olds. I like that each part is independent, so it makes for a great start to ensemble playing.
From Charlie Gibbs
Posted on June 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Carl Fischer has a book titled "Progressive Trios", arranged by Doris Gazda. The pieces are all fairly easy. In addition to the violin volume, there's a corresponding book for cello; you can mix and match instruments any way you want. There are also two "Progressive Duets" books.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle