Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

CodaBow Diamond SX or GX

Instruments: Any opinions on the CodaBow Diamond series?

From Jeffrey Schmitt
Posted April 22, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Having read more than a few discussions about carbon fiber bows vs. wooden, I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the new Codabow Diamond series bows. Their marketing material says the bows produce "an organic sound never before achieved in a carbon fiber bow."

My daughter plays a CodaBow Classic on a 1919 Maucotel & Deschamp violin. I'm wondering about getting her one of these Diamond series before she goes to college.

From Allan Speers
Posted on April 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM
Jeffery,

reading Coda's description, quote: "Kevlar acoustic core with graphite diamond weave finish" it sounds to me like they copied, or borrowed from, the design of the Glasser braided CF bow. At a minimum, they did something similar. The Glasser is a composite core, with a weaved CF wrap.

My only point is that the Glasser is significantly less money, so you might want to check out both. As I have written before, I tried the Glasser and was really, REALLY impressed with the round-stick version. I am on the fence about buying one, only because I like a very warm, full sound, and the Glasser sounds more like thin, stiff Pernambuco.

I am now interested in the Coda as well. I'm dying to see if it's in any way superior to the Glasser.

One thing I find puzzling- Why don't these companies purposely make two or three variations on each model, with different toanl characteristics. You know, The GX fat, GX medium, and GX thin? Then you could pick the one that bests suits your violin, or perhaps pick one for certain music, and another for different musical styles. Very strange to me that they are going with a "one size fits all" strategy.

From Kevin Cheung
Posted on April 23, 2007 at 03:58 PM
I don't seem to be able to find any info on the Diamond series at the CodaBow website. Where do you all hear about it?

I tried the Classic a while back and found it to be very good in terms of handling. But the sound is a little thin on my violin. Maybe I'll give the Glasser braided CF bow a try, only if I can find a dealer around here that carries one. :)

From Jeffrey Schmitt
Posted on April 23, 2007 at 07:20 PM
I saw them in a Southwest Strings catalog. I found them on the CodaBow website; they are in the process of building the site.
Try this link:
http://www.codabow.com/diamond.html
or this one from SW Strings:
http://www.swstrings.com/Store/Shopping.jsp?Category=Bows&SubCategory=Violin&Group=VB90GX
From Kevin Cheung
Posted on April 23, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Thanks for the links. So it seems like the SX is cheaper than the Classic. Interesting.
From Pieter Viljoen
Posted on April 24, 2007 at 01:18 AM
So stupid... diamonds seem to be used in every gimmick. I remember when they were sandblasting industrial grade diamond dust onto the face of sandwedges and drivers. None of it really make any sense and morons bought into it thinking it would help their game.

I don't think this is any different.

From Ron Gorthuis
Posted on April 24, 2007 at 01:44 AM
diamonds or shmiamonds, braided or fraided, I could care less about the synthetic name or material.

What I want to know is how do the Glasser and Coda solid cores compare side by side, preferably in a blind test?

Does anyone have time and access to make the test? Thanks!

From Andrew Victor
Posted on April 26, 2007 at 04:21 AM
No doubt the "diamond" pattern is the natural result of the crossed-fiber weave --- just a fancy name. If they painted over it (like earlier CF bows) you wouldn't see it.

In an earlier life as a "rocket scientist' I spent a good bit of time around (the then new) "graphite/epoxy rocket-motor cases which hat the same leave pattern.

Andy

From Jen-Chien Jack Chang
Posted on May 23, 2007 at 09:34 PM
I emailed Coda today to ask more info on their new diamond bow and also to update their website, their
president sent me the following press release:

Making Graphite into DIAMONDSTM

CodaBow International of Winona, Minnesota, creators of the CodaBow Family of Graphite-Fiber Performance Bows, announces its DIAMOND Collection for professionals.

Master makers and leading scientists collaborated to create this collection of bows that elegantly blend history’s time-honored principles with today’s most innovative bow making technology. A stunning tribute to history’s great bows, the DIAMOND Collection uses industry-first technology to offer natural performance once reserved only for fine pernambuco bows.

The DIAMOND Collection’s trademark Graphite Diamond Weave architecture extends precisely from button to tip plate. This eye-catching technology tailors shaft characteristics in two axes giving the bow strength for power and flexibility for nuance. (The Classic is lower strength and lower flexibility)

The DIAMOND Collection also debuts CodaBow’s revolutionary Kevlar Acoustic Core. This innovative introduction of Kevlar into the shaft’s core gives the DIAMOND the natural sensitivity and organic tone characteristic of fine pernambuco bows. (The Classic has more focused sound and more filtered tone.)

The DIAMOND’s European styling and fittings are timeless and elegant celebrations of bow making’s revered traditions.

As enduring as it is elegant, the DIAMOND Collection is backed by CodaBow’s lifetime guarantee.

“The DIAMOND Collection is a true testament to the performance attainable when master makers and leading technologists share a dream,” said Jeff Van Fossen, president of CodaBow International, “These are the designs that professional teachers and players hoped we would someday create.”

Available for violin starting at $575.

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on May 24, 2007 at 01:00 AM
Greeitngs,
couple of things in this hideous blurb give me the willies.
1)This eye-catching technology

So now we are going to have enucleated orchestral players complaining during rehearsals?

2)Master makers and leading scientists collaborated to create this

Bigot and Hawkins for a bow that plays only relatively well but simultaneously changes direction with the double basses. That is a quantum leap!

Cheer,s
Buri

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.