Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Types of Rosin?

Instruments: What brands of rosin do people recommend?

From Jennifer DeLaney
Posted April 5, 2007 at 05:40 PM

Hi!

I have a rosin question!

What brands of rosin do people recommend? And what is really the difference between light or dark rosin- I've always thought the lighter color rosin was also lighter in texture, but what does that really mean for the player?

I think I saw another thread with a similar question a while back, but it didnt really answer my question...

Thanks!!!

From Tom Holzman
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 06:11 PM
The answer to the light/dark question may depend on how good a player you are. I think there is a lot of unjustified hype about finding just the right rosin. For the really good players, it may matter, but for most of us any one of a number of rosins will do. I predict you will get at least one recommendation for each major brand in light and dark. Your luthier can probably best advise you on what to try.
From Enosh Kofler
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 06:42 PM
I like Motrya. It grips very well and makes a nice thick and warm sound. It's a light rosin with gold.

Alot of people like Tartini. I tried it and also liked it at the time but I prefer Motrya much more.

From Ron Gorthuis
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 06:37 PM
I have tried many rosins. As I improve, I notice more differences between rosins. Strings and bow factor here as well. Previously, I used a brand called "Otto Rosin" (German). The Otto is orange, low cost, and gives very good performance, but also gives lots of rosin dust buildup on your strings and violin top. Now I use the Pirastro Dark rosin, which is higher cost, and what I find many pros using. Pirastro Dark gives excellent performance, much lower dust, and seems to sound sweeter with my bow/strings combo. I use Dominant strings, and a medium quality wood bow. Rosin is one of those very personal choices. good luck.
From Christian Vachon
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 06:52 PM
I have tried a lot of rosins. I agree with Tom. It is a personal choice. My favourite for a lot of years now is by William Salchow, the bowmaker. What I like about it is that it helps the bow track well, but does not build up much on the bow hair or strings. Seems to work well with many strings and bows. So, yeah, that is my personal vote.

Cheers!

From Tom Holzman
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 07:02 PM
One of the good things is that many of the decent rosins are fairly cheap, so that if you do not like the effect, you can change without losing much money.
From nigel le
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 07:05 PM
i really like jade it won't do damage to you varnish like some other rosins, it's easy to clean, and gives a very nice crisp grip

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Suzuki Violin School Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8