Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Tango

Repertoire: Looking for good tango music to play

From Jim Tsai
Posted February 23, 2007 at 07:06 PM

Can someone suggest some fun tango music for violin or string quartet or piano trio? (preferably something that actually sounds like a tango, is published, and can be purchased)

Thanks!

From Gennady Filimonov
Posted on February 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Astor Piazzolla - Oblivion, Tango Ballet, 4 Seasons
From Jessie Vallejo
Posted on February 23, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Ohh... Oblivion is gorgeous :) one of the oboe professors at my college played that on her recital

Anyways, for violin...check out Tango Etudes (originally for flute). I bought mine from Sheet Music Plus.com and am working on the third one for my recital. There are 6 all together. There's a NAXOS recording (with other tango works, like histoire du tango) with Irmgard Toepper playing flute with a guitarist.

There's also Histoire du Tango and a book of about a dozen guitar and violin duos by Piazzolla too...in case you have a guitarist who's interested or a pianist who wants to arrange it for piano.

I'm not sure about string quartets, but if you wanted to stray from Tango a bit and stick with South America, there's Villa-Lobos quartets.

Hmm... and I know that you prefer music already published but you might want to see what's available from up and coming composers from other countries.

http://www.iamic.net/members/
or
http://www.sacm.org.mx/ (in Spanish)
or
http://www.unicamp.br/cdmc/

However, to my knowledge, Piazzolla is one of the only people who really captured tango music and infused classical with it...he was very devoted ...I've seen some arrangements for orchestras and such that were called things like "Tango Corto"...and frankly, they were watered down pieces of you know what...

Good luck and if you find any other composers who worked with tangos, I'd be interested to know about them!

From Jessie Vallejo
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Go here...
http://www.metzlerviolins.com/searchcatresults.aspx?IsSubmit=true&SearchTerm=piazzolla&Image2.x=0&Image2.y=0

here:
http://www.metzlerviolins.com/searchcatresults.aspx?IsSubmit=true&SearchTerm=tango&Image2.x=0&Image2.y=0

here:
http://www.metzlerviolins.com/p-207727-piazzollaastorfour-for-tangostring-quartet.aspx

So I correct myself a bit from earlier :) Good luck. And I've ordered from this place before and they were great, my music came fairly quickly and it was around Christmas.

From Peter Ferreira
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM
Tango... so you want tango!

Here, I'm feeling nice today so go get it while it's HOT!

Link: http://peterferreira.com/private/
log: astor
pass: tango

I've just opened the doors to my private virtual sheet music vault... I can't belive it!!!!

Get it now before I change my mind... look for piazzolla and tango folders amongst many others.

You owe me for this... now I must go have me some PRUNES!

Enjoy and best regards,

Peter

PS: time is running out, GO, GO!

From Jim Tsai
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 02:42 AM
aaaa!!....

I couldn't access!!!

did you already change your mind?????

From Daniel Broniatowski
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 03:39 AM
You HAVE to check out Piazzola!
From Jim Tsai
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 07:08 AM
wow, that was generous peter. Thanks!! still couldn't get libertango and oblivion in a file form i could use though ... ran outta time..
From Jim Tsai
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 07:10 AM
i knew everyone was going to start suggesting piazzolla - who i love - but are there others?

got any favorites for string quartet?

From Gennady Filimonov
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 06:50 PM
There is also "Morango....almost a Tango" by Thomas Oboe Lee.
We (odeonquartet) perform it a lot.
Very cool piece.
From Alex Robertson
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 07:15 PM
There is a movement from one of the Beethoven quartets that is written as a tango. I don't know for certain if there is one, but try to find an arrangement of Lalo's Symphonie Espanol, the third movement specifically. I've written some peices that incorporate tangos, I'd be happy to arrange them for chamber ensemble if you'd like (currently they are all violin solo peices). I can be contacted by way of e-mail. The address is fishmon@sbcglobal.net .
From Peter Ferreira
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 05:14 AM
Tango... so you want tango!
Here, I'm feeling nice today so go get it while it's HOT!

Link: http://peterferreira.com/private/
log: astor
pass: tango

I've just opened the doors to my private virtual sheet music vault... I can't belive it!!!!

Get it now before I change my mind... look for piazzolla and tango folders amongst many others.

You owe me for this... now I must go have me some PRUNES!

Enjoy and best regards,

Peter

[ It's working!! I tried it and seems fine}

From Sarah Kitzmiller
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 02:48 PM
I recommend "Tangos & More: Six Dances for String Quartet" by Michael McLean. They are as fun to play as they are to hear--terrific encores for a performance or finale for a gig. Published by Latham Music, Ltd. There is also a nice 4 part arrangement of Carlos Gardel's "Tango: Por Una Cabeza" (Tango played in "Scent of a Woman" and "True Lies") by Matthew Naughtin.
From Jessie Vallejo
Posted on March 8, 2007 at 11:24 PM
I just stumbled upon a Tango by Albeniz that was arranged by Kreisler for violin and piano...probably worth checking out!
From Jim Tsai
Posted on March 9, 2007 at 05:36 AM
albeniz/kreisler is quite nice... i've played it.

i'll look into the mclean quartets, i've heard them played in concert before. (next, i just need a good violist)

I've played a 4-viola version of Por Una Cabeza (at one time when violists roamed the plains).. very cool...

thanks!

From Marc Villeneuve
Posted on March 9, 2007 at 03:00 PM
...I have a live recording of Argerich,Kremer and Maïsky playing the Tscaïkoski trio on Deutsche Grammophone...at the end,as an encore, they play a very sad and moving Tango...The recording is easy to find..."Tango Pathétique" written by Pieter Kiesewitter...also the Shostakovith trio on this live recording...

Marc

From Taryn Wood
Posted on March 22, 2007 at 04:51 PM
Hi, so I've seen several say something about Por Una Cabeza. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it for four parts? Thanks.
From Jon O'Brien
Posted on March 24, 2007 at 01:21 AM
I find that the accordion section of music stores is a good place to look for some music that can work well on violin. Play the right hand parts.

Just a suggestion.

From Sergey Zyatkov
Posted on March 24, 2007 at 08:52 AM
SCORE
www.szyatkov.narod.ru/pdf/red_tango.pdf

AUDIO
www.szyatkov.narod.ru/mp3/red_tango.mp3

From Heather Wong
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 03:08 AM
Is there a piano accompaniment to Tango Etudes? I'm playing a short recital soon with a pianist and I could do a few solos without her, but it would be great if she had a part too.

Also, Mr. Ferreira, any chance you could be feeling generous again soon? I'd love to take a peek at your collection!

From Lisa Sailer
Posted on April 16, 2007 at 07:07 PM
Get some Michael McLean. Practically all he DOES is write tangos.
From Nigel Keay
Posted on February 25, 2008 at 02:21 PM
I wrote a short song cycle in 2002 called Tango Suite for contralto, string quartet and double bass. Being a sextet perhaps that's a little outside of what you are looking for, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
From Bruce Patterson
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM
Michael McLean writes music other than tangos...

He writes Fandangos, Enchiladas, and Margarita's as well as some Italian bel canto stuff!

His music is very good and fun for students to play....

He's a good teacher and composer.

From Eitan Silkoff
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 01:40 AM
he used to give me composition lessons. then he got famous :) his music is great
From Ruth Kuefler
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 04:00 AM
Yeah, Michael McLean's stuff is GREAT! So much fun. :)

Also, not sure exactly who wrote it, but there's this one tango called Jealousy I heard at camp once. Lots of fun. Here's a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0IcFyXUWs&feature=related

From Nigel Keay
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM
Jealousy was written by Jacob Gade, a Dannish violinist and composer.
From Lauren Manning
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 03:16 PM
Definitely Piazzolla's Oblivion. So much fun to play...
From Jay Peterson
Posted on February 26, 2008 at 04:41 PM
"Roxanne" by the Police works terrific in that format, and it's hilarious-there was a movie out a few years ago with Nicole Kidman, a comedy, but I can't remember the name of it, that had all these modern tunes in it,and they did that one with an old guy playing the violin,it was awesome.........

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.