Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Describing violin sound

Instruments: Would you mind giving your input and helping refine terms used to describe violin sounds?

From Lisa Golec
Posted November 9, 2006 at 04:09 AM

When I started playing (if you can call it that) the violin a year ago I began to read anything and everything about the instrument and listen to all types of music. The music world is not new to me as I have been well trained in singing and piano. That being said, I had a hard time conceptualizing what terms like "dark" or "silvery" meant. Fortunately in the August edition of the Strad there was an article refering to a list of tonal characteristics that Peter Prier had created. He graciously shared this list with me and through the assistance of others (Clare Chu) I have refined it somewhat.

I am happy to share this list we anyone who would like it. In fact, I would like experienced players to give their input and by virtue of concensus, assist in refining it further.

If you send me your email, I will send it to you as an attachment.

Lisa