Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Describing violin sound

Instruments: Would you mind giving your input and helping refine terms used to describe violin sounds?

From Lisa Golec
Posted November 9, 2006 at 04:09 AM

When I started playing (if you can call it that) the violin a year ago I began to read anything and everything about the instrument and listen to all types of music. The music world is not new to me as I have been well trained in singing and piano. That being said, I had a hard time conceptualizing what terms like "dark" or "silvery" meant. Fortunately in the August edition of the Strad there was an article refering to a list of tonal characteristics that Peter Prier had created. He graciously shared this list with me and through the assistance of others (Clare Chu) I have refined it somewhat.

I am happy to share this list we anyone who would like it. In fact, I would like experienced players to give their input and by virtue of concensus, assist in refining it further.

If you send me your email, I will send it to you as an attachment.

Lisa

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback