Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Need Cadenza for Beethoven Concerto

Repertoire: Where can I get a different one?

From Daniel Broniatowski
Posted November 5, 2006 at 08:50 PM

Anyone know where I can get a unique cadenza of the Beethoven Concerto? I'm looking for something other than the standard Kreisler, Flesch, and Joachim..Any ideas??

Daniel

From Andrew Riching
Posted on November 5, 2006 at 09:07 PM
There are some by Auer on the internet you can find for free, but I don't really like them.
From claudio mahle
Posted on November 5, 2006 at 09:43 PM
I think the Milstein cadenza (Schirmer) could be worth a try. Or maybe the violin adaptation of Beethoven’s piano cadenzas, as recorded by Schneiderhahn and Kremer, if I remember correctly.
In a similar old-fashion virtuoso style as Auer there are also Wilhemij’s and Hubay’s cadenzas, even Saint-Saens has written one set.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on November 5, 2006 at 11:14 PM
Greetings,
there are quite a few listed by Shar if you search their violin music section. Spivakovsky looks ineteresting...
Cheers,
Buri
From Jay Azneer
Posted on November 6, 2006 at 01:12 AM
Max Rostal made a violin version of Beethoven's own cadenza which he wrote for the piano transcription of the Violin Concerto. It has a tympani part also. There is also a Busoni cadenza which Szigeti used and recorded also with a tympani part--oh well. The Rostal is available the Busoni is anyone's guess.
From Daniel Broniatowski
Posted on November 6, 2006 at 03:15 AM
Just after I posted this, I went to a music library in a nearby conservatory and found some interesting options:

1) Silverstein (I think I will do this one even though it's full of 10ths!)

2) Milstein
3) Abbado (Michelangelo)
4)Shradieck

Any input on these would be appreciated!
Daniel

From Bruce Berg
Posted on November 6, 2006 at 03:39 AM
Mark Ginsburg, principal second of NY phil. did his Dma dissertation at Juilliard on the subject of alternate cadenzas to the Beethoven. You might be able to get more info from Juilliard or google Mark.
From Mischa S.
Posted on November 6, 2006 at 06:29 AM
There's a recording of R. Ricci playing the cadenzas of the 1st movement by Beethoven, David, Vieuxtemps, both Joachim - versions, Laub, Wieniawski, Saint-Saëns, Auer, Ysaÿe, Busoni, Kreisler, Milstein, and Schnittke (with at least 0,31 per cent Beethoven inside). And if you have the chance to hear the Tetzlaff-cadenza once, do it.
From ilya gringolts
Posted on November 7, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Look at all mentioned above and make up your own.

IG

From Scott 68
Posted on November 7, 2006 at 07:18 PM
I think our old friend steve redrobe has the milstein cadenza, if you ask him he may send it to you

steve@stephenredrobe.com
http://www.stephenredrobe.com/

From Jude Ziliak
Posted on November 8, 2006 at 06:01 AM
I wish Christian Tetzlaff would publish the ones he played tonight with the Boston Symphony. They were all beautiful, and the first movement one was somehow humorous and moving at the same time.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback