Quartetto Gelato presents a menu of international delights

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM · October 28, 2008

By Juliette Javaheri

Anyone who was at the Quartetto Gelato concert Monday night in Indianapolis will tell you they had a wonderful evening. To be entertained by four such wonderful musicians for two hours was a real treat. As a violinist hoping to play exactly this type of music: eclectic, moving, entertaining music that makes people tap their toes… I found it especially inspiring. This Toronto-based group performed music from around the world, with impressive, virtuoso technique. I particularly loved violinist/tenor Peter DeSotto’s expression; whether he was playing or singing it was always done with a great deal of beauty and charm. Particularly striking was his rendition of an Edith Piaf favorite, “La Vie En Rose.” You don’t need to speak French to understand that this song is about love and romance. Just listen to the sound of DeSotto’s voice and the throbbing accordion underneath (played by the incredible Alexander Sevastian) and you will know what this piece is about.

Another wonderful treat was Sevastian’s performance of the Toccata and Fugue by J.S. Bach. Sevastian is a four-time world champion accordion player who did not fail to dazzle the Indianapolis audience (you can see him perform this piece yourself on You Tube). The group also performed a few other pieces from the classical genre: Handel/Halvorsen Passacaglia (with DeSotto and Cellist Carina Reeves), Czardas by Vittorio Monti (played real Hungarian fast-as-light speeds) and Theme and Variations by Rossini featuring virtuoso clarinetist Kornel Wolak. My favorite of the second half was another song that featured the warm voice of Peter DeSotto in the popular Spanish song Besame Mucho. All in all, it was an evening of entertaining and touching music performed by the Quartetto Gelato.

Replies (2)

October 31, 2008 at 12:36 AM · What a great name for the quartet!

October 31, 2008 at 04:43 AM · I saw them almost 10 o 15 years ago and I loved them! Thank you for reminding me :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Brian Lisus Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins