1) One year before: reserve favorite room/cabin.
2) 11 mo before: Submit vacation request and make flight reservations.
3) 10-8 mo before: work in planned camp music into private lessons with teacher.
4) 7 mo before: get local friends to "rehearse" planned camp music. Make house/pet-sitting arrangements.
5) 6-3 mo before: start contacting other participants to schedule "off" events. Continue "at-home" rehearsals.
6) 2 mo before: Start practicing camp music in earnest.
7) 1 mo before: frantically make arrangements for transportation to/from airport. Send notices to colleagues/clients of pending vacation.
8) 2 weeks before: final phase of practice for camp music. Get camp schedule penciled/penned in. Pick though sheet music to bring to camp.
9) 1 week before: frantic house-cleaning and yard work. Meetings with house/pet-sitters. Generate "packing list" for items to bring.
10) 2 days before: pack and re-pack. Double check flights and ground transportation. Set out-of-office notice.
11) 1 Day before: wake up 5 hours before early am flight. Re-check packed luggage and supplies. Get to airport 3 hours early. Find bar at airport. Fly in, unpack everything and crash. Turn off phone.
12) Camp Day 1: Wake up at 5am as usual and wait outside cafeteria until open to get the desperately needed cup of coffee with fellow campers. Catch up on a year's of gossip and news. Schedule pre-camp readings. Breath. Make music.Tweet
Previous entries: June 2014
Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.
Mendy Smith is from League City, Texas. Biography
Please consider supporting Violinist.com by becoming a sponsor, and reaching our dedicated community of violin professionals, students and fans!